Thursday, September 27, 2018

Why mac is outdated for User experience

I was a linux user for past 7 years. I was using Fedora KDE and then shifted to Kubuntu.
It was really productive for day to day office work as well as personal work. I could customize a lot. Everything could be done from my keyboard touch. The only thing that was not available was skype for business and microsoft office. I somehow managed ms office with open office. But with skype I had no other alternative. This forced me to shift to either windows or mac. I hated windows because it doesn't have the power of shell and it is super slow. Mac had a blend of both the windows and linux.

With Mac OSX I felt I was using outdated version of OS.

1.The basic functionality like home key and end key were missing and also page up and page down.

I understand minimal design make sense most of the place. But pressing multiple key combination which could have been easier if there are some four extra keys would have made life easier.

2. Alt + tab is the most used keyboard combination to switch between apps. And here it was cmd + tab. But if you minimize one application then cmd+tab will not bring back that window even after highlighting it.  Why the hell then you show the application when I press cmd+tab ? Why OSX developer can't give me the highlighted application back? You have to google to get to know that you have to press option key in addition to cmd + tab to get the window.
Leave this if you have a full screen application then you can't get to that window unless you do a three finger swipe. cmd+~ doesn't give me the full screen application. Why not the key combination behave the same way irrespective of the application is minimized or maximized?

In linux  alt+tab works just the way I wanted. alt+~ toggles between the windows.

3. calendar UI. In linux If I click on the time and date I could see the calendar open. Whereas In Mac OSX, If I click on date it just shows some settings. CRAP!! CRAP!! who is gonna change settings that often ? People want to see the calendar most often to see their schedule. For that you need to open a separate application Calendar. SHIT!!! Is this what usability ? Just because you have to be different don't change the basic features.

4. Heat --- I could use linux for almost 5 hours in lenovo thinkpad without feeling heat near the touchpad. Here comes OSX. Use for 1 hour then feel the heat.
You could argue that it is because of applications that I am using. But I was using the same application in my linux machine without any problem. In my 7 years of experience in linux no application had taken more than 6-10% of cpu. OSX gone firefox easily takes 20% cpu. No need to mention on intellij IDE.

5. Bash-- The bash version is totally outdated. To make autocompletion work you need to do hell lot of things. The Sed command is not the one that comes in linux. It is completely different Sed not gnu-sed. It is crappy and you have come with different regex and options for using sed.

6. Cut and Paste. Windows/linux follows CTRL + c for copy and CTRL+X for cut. In mac you can't do cut it is at the time of pasting you decide on moving or copying. How often we decide to change from copy to cut? We always decide on moving or copying before copying something. Why the hell OSX has to be different here ?

7. Homebrew--- Linux install something and everything is available to you in terminal. In OSX, CRAP. Install something then you have add it to path to be available in cmd line.

8. Finder --- Linux you could just go to any location using URL navigation using exported environment path in bashrc. Finder you can't. Linux you could set custom keyboard combination to go to any folder. Bookmark the folder and then can navigate as you wish. Finder is way behind this.

No comments:

Post a Comment